Friday, September 22, 2006

Even Greatest Hits Have Some Down-time

Well, if I'm going to start a collection of my favorite posts from all of the blogs I own or write for, I may as well start at the beginning. I started blogging on February 2, 2005, and this post is from day two. It's not a gem, but it's a start.


Still Crazy After All These Years


Thank you Paul Simon for such insight. I often find myself doing things that are not in my best interest because at the time they are at least interesting. A few pints after work and suddenly I'm crawling into bed at 2am on a Tuesday. It's fun, it's stupid, it's inappropriate- perhaps, but man, is it needed. Whatever this life throws at you, no matter how far down the "you" falls on your priority list, you still have to make time to relax, be crazy or whatever it is that made you 'you' to begin with.
Hence me typing this on a belly full of coffee and Guinness with the whispering shades of a headache softly reminding me that I really am old, regardless of my untucked shirt and MP3 collection. Perhaps I am a fool*, but I can't imagine it any other way.
Speaking of fools, what is up with the dumbing of America**? My whole life, spent in Tucson, Seattle, San Diego and now an hour outside of LA, I have ordered beer by the pint. Bars have had 2 dollar pint night. Pint, pint, pint. Recently I have gone to two different bars, one a trendy sportsbar, the other a supposed British pub where neither bartender has known what a pint was. Really? It's that freaking 16 ounce glass in your hand!
-Hey, how many miles to the closest gas station?
-What's a mile?
It's that stupid. Therefore I am including the following quotes on fools:

*There are more fools in the world than there are people. -- Heinrich Heine
Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
The trouble isn't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning isn't distributed right. -- Mark Twain
Anger dwells only in the bosom of fools. -- Albert Einstein
We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools. -- Martin Luther King, Jr
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -- Ernest Hemingway
I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe
**Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything. -- Frank Dane (see dumbing of America)

No comments: